Pulled BBQ Maitake Sandwhiches
For a pulled pork sandwich you cook the pork until it is fork tender and then pull it apart. For this delicious alternative, the Maitake Frondosa is pulled apart by hand before cooking. You'll need a knife to thinly slice the sweet onion, but no knife is necessary to prep the Maitake.
- 4 oz. Mycopia Maitake Frondosa mushrooms
- ½ c. sweet onion, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ c. barbecue sauce of your choice
- ¼ c. water
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 4 “slider buns” — mini burger buns
- Pull Maitake apart into individual fronds and slice onions.
- Sauté the onions and Maitake in the vegetable oil until lightly browned.
- Once the mushrooms and onions are cooked, add the remaining ingredients: barbecue sauce, water, cider vinegar and mustard. Simmer a few minutes to combine the flavors. Spoon mixture on to slider buns and serve.